OSU Logo

General Information

The Department of Botany and Plant Pathology (BPP) consists of approximately 60 faculty members, 60 research and classified staff members, 50 graduate students, 50 undergraduate majors in botany, and 28 emeritus faculty. The faculty represents a broad spectrum of research and teaching interests and includes several scientists from such federal agencies as the U.S. Department of Agriculture and the U.S. Forest Service.

With the exception of the Federal labs and Branch Station locations, the department is housed at the north end of campus in Cordley Hall. The departmental offices, mailroom, seminar and coffee room, are all located in the western side of the building.

The department office is open from 7:45 a.m.- 12:00 and 1:00 - 5:00 p.m., Monday through Friday. The staff can answer questions that you might have, or help you find the answers.

When You Arrive

Contact the Office Manager who will direct you to the Chairperson of the Graduate Studies Committee, and/or visit your major professor. Also notify the BPP main office to let the department know that you are here and do any paperwork that is necessary. A mailbox will be assigned to you. Every effort will be made to provide an office for all graduate students. If office space has not been assigned, you will be directed to the Chair of the Space Committee. Also contact the personnel specialist to fill out employment paperwork.


The general catalog and schedule of classes are online. Students usually register for the fall quarter during the week preceding the first day of classes unless they were enrolled and preregistered the previous Spring (students can preregister for winter and spring quarters as shown in the Schedule of Classes). Students should register for classes online. New students should contact their major professor to help plan their class schedule.

The Memorial Union (MU) and OSU Book Store

The OSU Book Store is located on SW 26th St and SW Washington Way. This is the place for collegiate clothing, text books, supplies, computers, printers, software.

The MU has conference rooms, study rooms, lounges, several eating places, a ride board, a for-sale/for-rent/roommate-wanted board, a bowling alley, pool room, convenience store, printing and mailing xpress stop, etc.

Life in Corvallis

Tips for Getting Around

On the east end of the campus the streets running north and south are numbered away from the Willamette River (1st, 2nd, 3rd street, etc.). Avenues running east and west are named in chronological order of U.S. Presidents (Washington, Adams, etc.). Monroe Avenue is the dividing line between NW and SW. Thus, 202 SW 2nd Street would be two blocks south of Monroe. Northwest Corvallis does not have a systematic naming of streets.


The housing situation in Corvallis is tight and you should find a place as early as possible. For complete information, check the local newspaper (Corvallis Gazette-Times) and the University Housing Office (102 Buxton Hall). Options range from dorms to university-owned apartments, married-student housing, mobile home parks, rooming houses, apartments or houses shared or single. If you don't have a place to stay when you arrive, contact a GSA officer who will find you a temporary place with another student while you are looking. Planning this is easier for everybody if you can let us know about your needs early.

Department and University Forms

Key Requests, After Hour Permits, Computer Authorization Access, Motorpool Authorization forms. Inquire in BPP Main Office.

Utilities and Services

City of Corvallis Water Dept., 501 SW Madison, Phone: 541-766-6949

Century Link (phone, internet service): 1-800-475-4726

Comcast (Phone, Cable, Internet Sevice) Phone: 1-888-824-8264

Pacific Power & Light, 207 SW 6th Street, Phone: 1-888-221-7070

Consumers Power, Inc, 6990 SW West Hills Rd, Phone: 541-929-3124

Republic Services (Waste disposal), 110 NE Walnut Blvd, Phone: 541-754-0444

Northwest Natural Gas, 1970 14th Ave SE, Albany, OR 9732, Phone: 1-800-231-2986

Corvallis Gazette-Times (daily newspaper), 600 SW Jefferson, Phone: 541-753-2641


A car is often more trouble than it's worth around campus. If you must drive, a student parking permit may be purchased at registration or at the Parking Services Office (located in Adams Hall). This permit allows you to park in student areas. Parking permits range from one day to a full year. The Coalition of Graduate Employees (the grad union) has a limited number of faculty/staff parking permits each year. A better solution is to get a bicycle. Corvallis is relatively flat and well-suited for bicycling. Register your bicycle for free with Campus Security at the Public Safety Building. Bicycles are often recovered after they were stolen and the registration will help to get it back to you. Keep your bicycle locked at all times while on campus. Bicycles are subject to frequent theft. There are free campus shuttle buses, that cover different parts of campus connecting parking lots and central campus that run approximately every 5 or 15 minutes. A shuttle map and live-tracker are available to moniter the next arrival. You can ride the Corvallis Transit System, FREE; schedules are available next to the MU Business office.


Used Furniture and Household Items. Check craigslist, the OSU Folk Club Thrift Store (corner of Jackson and NW 2nd St.), The ARC Resale Corner (928 NW Beca Ave, 541-754-9011), and garage sales. Also check the local Yellow Pages for rental furniture. OSUsed sales are on Wednesdays at 644 SW 13th St.  First Wednesday 5:30 - 7:30pm, other weeks 12:00-3:00pm http://surplus.oregonstate.edu/public/osused

Voting and Driving In Oregon

Voter Registration. To vote in Oregon, you must be a United States Citizen, 18 years old, and be an Oregon resident. You must be registered to vote at least 20 days before an election. Registration forms may be obtained at most banks, the Benton County Courthouse (120 NW 4th St.), and the DMV Office (850 NE Circle Blvd., 541-757-4191).Register to vote online: http://www.oregonvotes.org/pages/voterresources/regtovote/ You can register by mail. (Benton County Director of Records & Elections: 541-757-6756 or Linn County Clerk: 541-967-3831)

Oregon Driver's Licenses are available at the Oregon Division of Motor Vehicles located at 850 NE Circle Blvd., (541-757-7191). Drivers with valid licenses from another state must take the written and eye tests. If you pass the written test, you get your license the same day. Out-of-state students should apply for an Oregon license as soon as they establish a residence. Students without a valid drivers license from a U.S. State or Territory, or Canada, are required to take a written, road sign/vision, and a behind the wheel drivers test to receive an Oregon license. The behind the wheel drivers test requires an appointment and a vehicle to take the test in. New drivers must present a legal document with their full name and date of birth on it and evidence of Oregon Address (e.g. Bank Statement). Your Oregon Drivers License is valid for four years.


There are ample opportunities for recreation in and about the Corvallis area. The Cascade Mountains are approximately 60 miles east of town, and the Pacific Ocean is approximately 55 miles west. Locally, there is a bike path along the Willamette River, hiking trails in McDonald Forest, Mary's Peak for an excellent view of the valley, and Avery Park for picnicking. On campus, there are gyms and the Dixon Recreation Center. The Outdoor Program rents camping equipment, canoes, etc., and organizes many trips during the year. Many members of the department are avid joggers, racquetball players, tennis players, backpackers, cross-country and downhill-skiers, swimmers, canoers, etc. It is beyond the scope of this manual to mention all of the recreational opportunities, but seek and ye shall (probably) find.


The Student Health Center located in the Plageman Building (across from Weniger Hall) has MD and LPN services, pharmacy, etc. Phone 7-9355 for more information.

The Benton County Health Department (541-766-6835) and the Benton County Mental Health Clinic (541-766-6835) both located at 530 NW 27th Street, provide a number of services (including required vaccinations) on a sliding scale fee basis. Call for appointments.

Counseling/Community Resources

A number of University counseling services are available to students and their families. These include the Counseling Center (Phone 7-2131) for personal, educational-vocational, and marriage counseling. An appointment is necessary and there is a nominal fee after the first six visits. There are also Student Legal Counselors (free) in the MU Student Events and Activities Center, who can help, especially in landlord-tenant disputes. The Women's Center located in the Benton Annex (7-3186) offers support for both men and women students.

Community Outreach, Inc. offers a number of emergency services. Call 541-758-3000 for more about programs and eligibility, or stop in at Sunflower House, 128 SW 9th Street (between Monroe and Madison). Many of their programs have restrictions, so call first to find out the requirements. Community Outreach does a good job of providing information and referring questions/clients to the right resources, so do not hesitate to call if you have a question.

The Center Against Rape and Domestic Violence provides counseling and support services including crisis intervention and temporary shelter for victims of abuse. For information call 541-758-0219) or 541-754-0110(hotline).

The Barometer is the free student newspaper published Monday through Friday which can be picked up at several locations on campus.

The Guide to Student Life is a very useful resource containing information about many services, organizations, and activities. It is updated annually and available at the Student Events and Activities Center located in the Memorial Union.


Oregon State Credit Union. The main office of this member-owned, non-profit cooperative financial institution is located at 148 NW 25th St. (541-714-4000) with a branch in the Commerce Building at 1980 NW 9th St, Main St. Philomath and across from the Target Store at the Heritage Mall in Albany.

All regular OSU graduate students, alumni, and people who work at OSU, plus family members of this last group, can join the Credit Union.

Checking accounts are free of charge. There is a charge for overdrawing your account but you can arrange for over-draft protection. You can have your OSU payroll check direct-deposited into your Credit Union account. Savings accounts earn competitive market rates.

The Credit Union has ATM and Visa Cards that you can use (free) at ATM's located outside the main office on NW 25th Street, at the MU on the OSU Campus, at WinCo Foods in the Timberhill Shopping Center, at Starbucks (downtown at 3rd & Madison), Bookbin on 3rd St and the branch on Main St., Philomath. Cards can be used at ATMs (free in the CO-OP network, or with a small charge) nationwide and internationally.

The Credit Union offers a no-fee Notary Public, minimal-fee Thomas Cooke Traveler's checks (very useful when going to scientific meetings), minimal-fee Western Union Commercial Money Orders, and a bulletin board for member use. Financial counseling is also available for those who have spent more than they have earned or if you can't figure out what to do with excess money.

In addition, the Credit Union offers a Phone Access Teller (PAT) System in which you can check on cleared checks, account balances, and to transfer funds from one account to another. PAT is available at 541-714-4140. They also offer access to your account via your home computer. This system is called the Personal Branch. Check with the Credit Union on how to access Personal Branch.

To open new accounts, go to the lobby in the Credit Union's main office. For more information on other services such as consumer and mortgage loans, IRA's and certificates of deposit, call the Credit Union at 541-714-4000.

Other Local Banks are Bank of America, Citizens Bank, Key Bank, U.S. Bank, Chase, Umpqua Bank, Wells Fargo, as well as several Federal Savings & Loan Associations. Most of these have facilities in Corvallis, Philomath and Albany.