Bill and LaRea Johnston Undergraduate Endowment
The LaRea D. Johnston endowment was established in 1990 to honor the the numerous teaching contributions to the department of LaRea Johnston. The income from the fund supports undergraduate education in the department and is used either to directly support undergraduate students or their research efforts, or to support teaching activities on behalf of these students. In 1992 the fund was renamed the Bill and LaRea Johnston Fund for Undergraduate Education in memory of Bill Johnston who was an integral part of the department.
The Outstanding Senior Award is made possible by this endowment and is awarded using the following guidelines:
1. High academic achievement with Grade Point Average 3.50-4.00.
2. Completion of 45-60 hours of courses as a major in Botany & Plant Pathology.
3. Outstanding role model.
4. Botany and Plant Pathology related activities (significant contributions to Undergraduate Botany Club or other departmental activities)
5. Other campus, community or professional activities (significant contributions to clubs or activities outside the department).
and (preferred but not required)
6. Quality performance on independent study project.
Outstanding Seniors include:
Camille Tipton 1997
Anne Bangs 1998
Aleta Groenig 1999
Kristen Skinner 2000
Jenna Malarkey Hill 2000
Jay Well 2002
Jonathan Reed 2003
John Schenk 2003 Special Senior Recognition Award
Bailey Edgley 2004
Kathy van Wormer 2005
Emma Bradford and Alicia Leytem 2006
Stephanie Vandruff 2010