The Department of Botany and Plant Pathology (BPP) consists of approximately 60 faculty members, 60 research and classified staff members, 50 graduate students, 50 undergraduate majors in botany, and 28 emeritus faculty. The faculty represents a broad spectrum of research and teaching interests and includes several scientists from such federal agencies as the U.S. Department of Agriculture and the U.S. Forest Service. 

With the exception of the Federal labs and Branch Station locations, the department is housed at the north end of campus in Cordley Hall. The departmental offices, mailroom (Cordley 2067), seminar and coffee room (Cordley 2087), are primarily located in the western side of the building.

The department office (Cordley 2064) is open from 8:00 a.m - 12:00 and 1:00 -. to 5:00 p.m., Monday through Friday. The staff can answer most questions that you might have or help you find the answers. Otherwise please see your advisor.

Hot water is available for drinks, and there is a microwave, in the seminar/coffee room (Cordley 2087).

There is an Undergraduate Notice Board in the coffee room (2087) for notices about meetings, jobs, research opportunities, the Undergraduate Botany and Plant Pathology Club and on which students may also post their own notices on academic related topics. 

Department web site 

Information about the department, including its faculty, courses, seminar program and much more, can be found at our web site:

When You Arrive 

Visit the BPP main office (Cordley 2064) to let the department know that you are here.

Please sign up for an e-mail account.  You can set up your account from any computer connected to the internet.  Go to and click on "Sign up for ONID".  You will then be prompted to enter your OSU ID number and General Access Pin Number (GAP).  Give your e-mail address to the department office so that we can use e-mail to contact you with information about advising, course changes, scholarship and job opportunities, and club and social events.Your advisors and professors read their e-mail regularly; you may use it to contact them.  The Milne Computer Center is open 24 hours a day and there are several other student computer labs on campus.


The general catalog is online. Students may register for the fall quarter during the week preceding the first day of classes, if they have not already done so, the previous Spring (students can preregister for winter and spring quarters) or during Summer orientation. Students register for classes via the OSU web. New students should contact their advisor to help plan their class schedule. A PIN number is needed to register for classes. A new PIN is assigned every term.  You can see your advisor if you lose your PIN, and you will need to receive a new PIN from you advisor to register for classes for the following term. A PIN is not required for Summer Term classes.

The Memorial Union (MU) and OSU Book Store 

The OSU Book Store is located on SW 26th St and SW Washington Way. This is the place for collegiate clothing, text books, supplies, computers, printers, software.

The MU has conference rooms, study rooms, lounges, several eating places, a ride board, a for-sale/for-rent/roommate-wanted board, a bowling alley, pool room, convenience store, printing and mailing xpress stop, etc.

Lost and Found

If you lost an item in Cordley in the last week, check with our Main Office. After that time, or if you lost something in another building, assistance recovering a lost item can be found at Central Lost and Found

Tips for Getting Around 

Check this link: Life in Corvallis

On the east end of the campus, the streets running north and south are numbered away from the Willamette River (1st, 2nd, 3rd street, etc.). Avenues running east and west are named in chronological order of U.S. Presidents (Washington, Adams, etc.). Monroe Avenue is the dividing line between NW and SW Thus, 202 SW 2nd Street would be two blocks south of Monroe. Northwest Corvallis does not have a systematic naming of streets, although N-S streets are mostly numbered in order. 


A variety of housing is available within walking or biking distance from campus. Furnished and unfurnished apartments, houses, and mobile home parks are available. Costs are from about $750 for two-bedroom apartments, single occupancy is generally more expensive. Residence hall accommodations, including room and board, are available during the academic year and the rates can be found at this page. The University also offers some Student Family Housing with rates starting at about $500 per month. Additional information is available from the Department of University Housing and Dining Services. However, there is generally a 1-3 year waiting list for Student Family Housing.

The housing situation in Corvallis is tight and you should find a place as early as possible. For complete information, check the local newspaper (Corvallis Gazette-Times) and the University Housing Office (102 Buxton Hall; 541-737-4771). 

Department and University Forms 

Inquire in BPP Main Office about Key Requests (if you are employed in the department), After Hour Permits, Computer Authorization Access, Motorpool Authorization forms. 

Utilities and Services 

City of Corvallis Water Dept
501 SW Madison
Phone: 541-766-6949

Century Link (telephone, internet service)
Phone: 1-800-475-7526

Comcast (telephone, cable, internet service)
Phone: 1-888-824-8264

Pacific Power and Light
207 SW 6th St
Phone: 1-888-221-7070

Consumers Power, Inc.
6990 SW West Hills Rd
Phone: 541-929-3124

Republic Services (Waste disposal)
110 NE Walnut Blvd
Phone: 541-754-0444

Northwest Natural Gas
1970 14th Ave SE
Albany, OR 97321
Phone: 1-800-231-2986

Corvallis Gazette Times (daily newspaper)
600 SW Jefferson
Phone: 541-753-2641

Emergency (Police, Fire, Ambulance)
Phone: 911


A car is often more trouble than it's worth around campus. If you must drive, a student parking permit may be purchased at registration or at the Parking/Traffic Office (located at Adams Hall). This permit allows you to park in student areas. Parking permits range from one day to a full year. A better solution is to get a bicycle. Corvallis is relatively flat and well-suited for bicycling. Register your bicycle for free with Campus Security at the Public Safety Building. Bicycles are often recovered after they were stolen and the registration will help to get it back to you. Keep your parked bicycle locked at all times. There are free campus shuttle buses, that cover different parts of campus connecting parking lots and central campus that run approximately every 5 or 15 minutes. A shuttle map and live-tracker are available to moniter the next arrival. You can ride the Corvallis Transit System, FREE; schedules are available next to the MU Business office.

Used Furniture and Household Items 

Check "craigslist", the OSU Folk Club Thrift Store (corner of Jackson and NW 2nd St.), The ARC Resale Corner (928 NW Beca Ave, 541-754-9011), Goodwill (1325 NW 9th Street, 541-752-8278) and garage sales. Also check the local Yellow Pages for rental furniture. The "Barometer" classified section is also a useful source of items.

Voter Registration 

To vote in Oregon, you must be a United States Citizen, 18 years old, and be an Oregon resident. You must be registered to vote at least 20 days before an election. Registration forms may be obtained at most banks, the Benton County Courthouse (120 NW 4th St.), and the DMV Office (870 NE Circle Blvd). You can register by mail. (Benton County Director of Records & Elections: 541-757-6756 or Linn County Clerk: 541-967-3831).  You can also register online

Oregon Driver's Licenses 

Licenses are available at the Oregon Division of Motor Vehicles (541-757-4191) located at 870 NE Circle Blvd. Drivers with valid licenses from another state must take the written and eye tests. If you pass the written test, you get your license the same day. Out-of-state students should apply for an Oregon license as soon as they establish a residence. Students without a valid drivers license from a U.S. State or Territory, or Canada, are required to take a written, road sign/vision, and a behind the wheel drivers test to receive an Oregon license. The behind-the-wheel drivers test requires an appointment and a vehicle to take the test in. New drivers must present a legal document with their full name and date of birth on it and evidence of Oregon address (e.g. bank statement). Your Oregon Drivers License is valid for four years. 


There are ample opportunities for recreation in and about the Corvallis area. The Cascade Mountains and associated opportunities for skiing, hiking & fishing are approximately 60 miles east of town, and the Pacific Ocean is approximately 55 miles west. Locally, there is a bike path along the Willamette River, hiking trails in McDonald Forest, Mary's Peak for an excellent view of the valley, and Avery Park for picnicking. On campus, there are gyms and the Dixon Recreation Center. The Outdoor Program rents camping equipment, canoes, etc., and organizes many trips during the year. Many members of the department are avid joggers, racquetball players, tennis players, backpackers, cross-country and downhill-skiers, swimmers, canoers, etc. It is beyond the scope of this manual to mention all of the recreational opportunities, but seek and ye shall (probably) find. The Undergraduate BPP club schedules several trips each year. 


The Student Health Center located in the Plageman Building (across from Weniger Hall) has MD and LPN services, pharmacy, etc. Phone 541-737-9355 for more information. The quarterly health fee makes most practitioner visits available for students without charge.

The Benton County Health Department (541-766-6835) and the Benton County Mental Health Clinic (541-766-6835), both located at 530 NW 27th Street, provide a number of services (including required vaccinations) on a sliding scale fee basis. Call for appointments. 

Counseling/Community Resources 

A number of University counseling services are available to students and their families. These include the Counseling Center (Phone 541-737-2131) for personal, educational-vocational, and marriage counseling. An appointment is necessary and there is a nominal fee after the first six visits. There are also Student Legal Counselors (free) in the MU Student Activities Center, who can help, especially in landlord-tenant disputes. The Women's Center, located in the Benton Annex (541-737-3186) offers support for both men and women students. 

Community Outreach, Inc. offers a number of emergency services. Call 541-758-3000 for more about programs and eligibility, or stop in at Sunflower House,128 SW 9th Street (between Monroe and Madison). Many of their programs have restrictions, so call first to find out the requirements. Community Outreach does a good job of providing information and referring questions/clients to the right resources, so do not hesitate to call if you have a question. 

The Center Against Rape and Domestic Violence provides counseling and support services including crisis intervention and temporary shelter for victims of abuse. For information call 541-758-0219 (office) or 541-754-0110 (hotline). 

The Barometer is the free student newspaper, published Monday through Friday, which can be picked up at several locations on campus. 

The Guide to Student Life is a very useful resource containing information about many services, organizations, and activities. It is updated annually and available at the Student Events and Activities Center located in Memorial Union 103. 

Financial Aid 

Information is available on the OSU web page. Observe deadlines! Seek help from that office early if you have any questions. 


Oregon State Credit Union. The main office of this member-owned, non-profit cooperative financial institution is located a 5 minute walk from Cordley Hall, at 148 NW 25th St. (541-714-4000) with a branch in the Commerce Building at 1980 NW 9th St,  a branch on Main St. Philomath, and another across from the Target Store at the Heritage Mall in Albany. 

Checking accounts are free of charge. There is a charge for overdrawing your account but you can arrange for over-draft protection. You can have your OSU payroll check direct-deposited into your Credit Union account. Savings accounts earn competitive market rates. 

The Credit Union has Visa Debit Cards that you can use (free) at ATM's located outside the main office on NW 25th Street, in the MU on the OSU Campus, at Win Co Foods in the Timberhill Shopping Center, 1980 NW 9th St, at Starbucks (downtown at 3rd & Madison), First Alternative Grocery on 3rd and 29th Streets, and Bookbin on 3rd St. Cards can be used in most ATMs (free in the CO-OP network, or with a small charge). 

The Credit Union offers a no-fee Notary Public, minimal-fee Thomas Cooke Traveler's checks (very useful when going to scientific meetings), minimal-fee Western Union Commercial Money Orders, and a bulletin board for member use. Financial counseling is also available for those who have spent more than they have earned or if you can't figure out what to do with excess money. 

In addition, the Credit Union offers a Phone Access Teller (PAT) System, which you can use to check on cleared checks and account balances, and to transfer funds from one account to another. PAT is available at 541-714-4140. They also offer access to your account via your home computer. This system is called the Personal Branch. Check with the Credit Union on how to access Personal Branch. 

To open new accounts, go to the lobby in the Credit Union's main office. For more information on other services such as consumer and mortgage loans, IRA's and certificates of deposit, call the Credit Union at 541-714-4000.

Other Local Banks are Bank of America, Citizens Bank, Key Bank, Umpqua Bank, U.S. Bank, Chase, Wells Fargo, as well as several Federal Savings & Loan Associations. Most of these have facilities in Corvallis, Philomath and Albany.